When I first started using SaltStack, I started with a top.sls that looked like this:
But I didn’t like having the roles of a machine hard bound to the hostname of the machine. That seemed arbitrary. Also, we ended up wanting to split and merge roles and the machines they run on (for instance, it became reasonable to merge the cache and worker roles) and so we outgrew that.
To solve this problem, we introduced role grains. An example worker minion might have the following `/etc/grains` file:
With this, our topfile turned into this:
Which was nice. For each role grain, it included the necessary role state file, and all was well… for a while.
Our environment grew to the point where we had many more roles than we at first anticipated. For each role we added, we had to add another 4 lines to our top.sls, and it grew pretty ugly and duplicate-y. To solve this, we leveraged the jinja templating system to create roles.sls:
This allowed us to condense our top file to the following:
Now each minion tells the master what kind of machine it dreams of being via the roles grain, and the salt master tells each minion how to become those things. If you want to add a role to a machine, you simply add it to the role grain on the minion and run highstate.